Effective Home Remedies For Sour Stomach: Causes and Tips to Prevent It
Home Remedies for Sour Stomach
Sour stomach usually occurs in the upper digestive tract and cause symptoms like bloating, acidity, burping, nausea, and regurgitation. Sour stomach can be quite uneasy and persistent if not treated in time. Listed below are some easy to follow, simple, and effective home remedies for sour stomach.
#1. Baking Soda
Baking soda has been traditionally used since ancient times as one of the home remedies for stomach upset. As baking soda is an antacid, it neutralises the acid in the stomach and provides quick relief from indigestion and heartburn.
Method: Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in water and drink this solution on an empty stomach. Repeat after every 4 hours
#2. Charred Toast
You will be surprised to know that charred toast is an effective home remedy to cure sour stomach. The char helps remove the toxins that cause sour stomach.
Method: Burn 2 whole-wheat breads on a toaster and eat them slowly. Along with charred toast you can have a glass of cold milk or green tea.
#3. Aloe Vera Juice
One of the best home remedies for sour stomach is Aloe Vera juice owing to its anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe Vera juice reduces the irritation in the stomach lining and helps soothe the inflammation caused due to acidity and heartburn. Aloe Vera is also a good laxative and improves the digestion process.
Method: Take 2 tablespoons of freshly extracted Aloe Vera juice and mix it with 1 cup of water. Blend until smooth and drink it once a day till the symptoms reduce.
Bananas are age old home remedies for stomach upset. Bananas are rich in potassium that works as an antacid and neutralises the acidic pH. They also soothe the gastrointestinal walls and reduce the irritation caused from gastric acid.
Method: Sprinkle cinnamon powder on ripe bananas and consume 2-3 bananas a day when you are having a sour stomach. Eat bananas either prior or after a meal.
#5. Chamomile Tea
The terpenoids and phenolic compounds in chamomile tea make it as one of the best home remedies for sour stomach. Chamomile tea helps relieve symptoms such as nausea, bloating, indigestion, acidity, and stomach cramps caused during sour stomach.
Method: Take 1-2 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers or 1 readymade chamomile tea bag and soak in warm water. Steep for about 15 minutes. Strain this decoction and drink while it’s warm. Drink 2-3 cups of chamomile tea in a day to reduce symptoms of sour stomach.
Causes of Sour Stomach
- Spicy foods: Hot and spicy foods often irritate the lining of the digestive tract and cause acidity and heartburn.
- Overeating: Eating in excess or taking in more food can cause indigestion as the level of HCL secretion increases in the stomach.
- Carbonated beverages: Alcohol and carbonated beverages causes excess acid secretion in the stomach leading to acidity and indigestion.
- Medical conditions: Several medical conditions like pylori and gastritis also causes a sour stomach.
Tips To Prevent Sour Stomach
Unless the sour stomach is caused due to medical conditions, it is very easy to prevent sour stomach. Listed below are few steps you can follow to prevent sour stomach.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to make the digestive system to function well.
- Reduce intake of alcohol and other carbonated beverages.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Eat slowly and chew your food well to ensure proper digestion.
- Avoid overeating and restrict to small meals a day.
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours at night to ensure that the body functions appropriately.
Follow some of the above mentioned prevention tips and home remedies for sour stomach. If you still don’t find relief from these home remedies, consult your doctor immediately.