Leucorrhoea: Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
What is Leucorrhoea
Leucorrhoea may be defined as increased thick white discharge from the vagina. However, the color may also be yellow or brown. Although Little vaginal discharge is normal and is important for the maintenance of the genital health.
Normal discharge is colorless and odorless. But if the amount of the discharge increases along with a foul smell and change in color it may be an indication of underlying disease or infection. The onset of the leucorrhoea is not acute.
It is a general toxic condition affecting one or more female reproductive organs. When there is an accumulation of toxins in the body and other organs such as the kidney, skin and bowel are unable to expel these toxins, female body tries to expel them in the form of vaginal discharge. This discharge is usually thick and white, but may be yellow, greenish and brown along with the pus and a foul smell.
What are the Causes of Leucorrhoea
Leucorrhoea may be physiological and commonly occurs in females before puberty during early pregnancy, before menstruation bleeding, and during sexual excitement. Such cases are not of medical concern.
Causes of pathological leucorrhoea are improper nutrition, poor health and Weakness after an illness such as viral fever. In these cases, you need to improve your diet. Other causes of concern are genital tract dysfunction, inflammation, and infection in the vaginal tract. Hormonal imbalances, poor genital hygiene, the wound caused by scratching that follows itching may also be the cause of leucorrhoea.
Few health issues such as constipation, anemia, menorrhagia, indigestion and diabetes may also result in the same. In sexually active women, gonorrhea and other STD may be the underlying cause.
What are the Symptoms of the Leucorrhoea
In some of the cases, leucorrhoea may be asymptomatic. In other cases, most suggestive symptoms are increase vaginal discharge that wets the undergarments that in some cases may flow up to the heels. Discharge may be white, yellowish or brown in color along with the foul smell. There may be a pain in the calves, back, and lumbar region along with weakness and heaviness in the abdominal.
Few more symptoms may be itching in the vagina, burning and redness in the vaginal region. These symptoms may lead to irritability and discomfort. If leucorrhoea continues for several weeks or months it requires proper treatment.
What are the Home Remedies for Leucorrhoea
1.Fig tree and Banyan tree- Take a tablespoon of the fig tree and banyan tree bark powder each. Boiled them in a liter of water. Reduces the quantity to half. When it cools down a little, then douche with it. Repeat this every day till you find relief.
2. Fenugreek seeds- Take 3 teaspoon fenugreek seeds and boil it in a liter water till quantity reaches half. Cool, down the concoction and drink it once daily.
3. Lady s finger (Okra)- It is very beneficial in treating leucorrhoea. Take 100 grams of Okra and boil it in a liter of water for 20 minutes. Cool, it down and then drink it till you find relief in the symptoms.
4. Rice water- After cooking the rice, do not throw the leftover water. Add sugar to it and drink it daily. This will cure leucorrhoea in just 1 week.
5.Mango seeds- Dry the mango seeds and grind it to a fine powder. Add sufficient amount of the water to make a paste. Apply the paste properly inside the vaginal tract and outside the vagina to cure leucorrhoea.
6. Corriander seeds- Take a teaspoon of coriander seeds and soak it in a cup of water overnight. In the morning grind it along with the water. Drink it empty stomach for one week to relieve the symptoms and cure leucorrhoea.
7. Amaranth root- Grind amaranth root and mix it with water. Drink this concoction 2 times a day for desired results.
8.Banana- Eat one to 2 bananas daily. For best results, consume ripe banana along with half teaspoon of ghee.
9. Guava leaves- Gather fresh guava leaves and steep in boiling water for 30 minutes. Strain the concoction and drink it 2 times daily.
10. Garlic- Consume 1 to 2 cloves of garlic daily 2 times. Better add it to cooked foods.
11.Walnut leaves- Steeping walnut leaves for 20 minutes in a cup of steaming water. Strain it, and douche genital area with it after it cools down. Repeat this 3 times a day.
12.Cranberry juice- Drink fresh cranberry juice thrice in a day until symptoms subsides.
Besides the above home remedies you also need to maintain vaginal hygiene and consume a balanced diet. Avoid spicy and fried food, white flour, white sugar products, tea, coffee, alcohol and tinned/ canned food. You may also try cold sitz bath to promote blood circulation to the vagina. Still, if you do not find any relief, do consult your doctor.