Coronavirus or COVID-19 Outbreak, Symptoms, Spread of Virus, How the virus is Transmitted, Protective Measures, Treatment
Coronavirus or COVID-19 Outbreak
Coronaviruses are viruses which belong to large families of viruses that may cause illness in animals or humans and can sometimes lead to the death of the individual. In the case of humans, these viruses are known to cause respiratory tract infections ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases which are Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered and widely spreading pandemic coronavirus causes coronavirus disease called Coronavirus or COVID-19.
How Was The Coronavirus or COVID-19 Outbreak?
Coronavirus or COVID-19 is the easily spreadable infectious disease which is caused by the recently discovered coronavirus. This new virus and disease outbreak began in Wuhan, China, in December 2019 and now it has spread all over the world with inflicted persons increasing rapidly.
Symptoms Of Coronavirus or COVID-19
The following are the most common symptoms of Coronavirus or COVID-19:-
- tiredness, and
- dry cough.
- Some patients may also develop symptoms like body aches, runny nose, nasal congestion, sore throat, diarrhoea and other body pains.
Usually, the symptoms are mild and begin gradually. Some infected individuals don’t develop any symptoms and don’t feel any pain.
Most of the people (about 80%) who suffer from the coronavirus recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people infected with the virus only one gets seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people are at high risk of developing serious symptoms and people with underlying medical conditions like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more prone to serious illness. People who are suffering from fever, cough and difficulty breathing should immediately seek medical help.
How Coronavirus or COVID-19 Is Spread?
People can catch Coronavirus or COVID-19 from direct contact with the infected person. It is spread through small droplets from the nose or mouth of the infected individual which happens when an infected person coughs or exhales. These droplets can land on objects and other surfaces around the person and when healthy individuals touch these objects or surfaces, then touch their eyes, nose or mouth can catch Coronavirus or COVID-19. People also catch Coronavirus or COVID-19 if they breathe in the droplets of an infected person with Coronavirus or COVID-19 when coughing or exhaling droplets. So, it is advisable to maintain a distance of 1 meter or 3 feet away from the infected person.
Can Coronavirus or COVID-19 Be Transmitted Through The Air?
Studies show that the coronavirus that causes Coronavirus or COVID-19 is basically transmitted through droplets, mouth and nose contact of infected people with the Coronavirus or COVID-19 rather than through the air.
Can We Get Coronavirus or COVID-19 From A Person Who Has No Symptoms?
The risk of getting Coronavirus or COVID-19 from someone with no visible symptoms of coronavirus at all is very low. WHO is assessing the disease and spread of virus and research is going on the period of transmission of Coronavirus or COVID-19.
Protection Measures For Coronavirus or COVID-19
Stay updated with the latest information on the Coronavirus or COVID-19 outbreak, available on various news websites and you can get information through your national and local public health authority as well. Coronavirus or COVID-19 is spreading rapidly all around the world. China and some other countries have succeeded in slowing the spread as well as stopping the outbreaks of the virus.
The chances of spreading Coronavirus or COVID-19 can be reduced by taking these simple precautions:
- Clean your hands thoroughly with an alcohol-based hand rub or sanitizer or you can wash them with soap and water. Because Washing hands with soap and hand sanitizer kill viruses that are present on your hands.
- Maintain a distance of 1 metre or 3 feet between yourself and others. Because When someone coughs or sneezes they release small droplets of infected liquid from their nose or mouth which may contain the virus. If you are too close to that person then you can breathe in the droplets, including the Coronavirus or COVID-19 virus if the person who is coughing suffers from the disease.
- Avoid frequently touching eyes, nose and mouth. Because our Hands touch many surfaces throughout the day which can pick up viruses. Once the hands are contaminated, they can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From those parts a virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
- Make sure to follow good respiratory hygiene and encourage others around you to follow these measures. This includes covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when there is an urge to cough or sneeze. Then also dispose of the used tissue immediately. Because Droplets spread viruses. If you follow good respiratory hygiene then you can protect the people around you from the spread of viruses such as cold, flu and Coronavirus or COVID-19.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Keep up to date on the latest news on Coronavirus or COVID-19 hotspots. Avoid travelling to places – if you are an older person or have diabetes, heart or any respiratory disease because you are likely to catch Coronavirus or COVID-19 in one of these areas.
Vaccine or Treatment For Coronavirus or COVID-19
Till date, there is no vaccine and no specific antiviral medicine to prevent or treat Coronavirus or COVID-19 but affected individuals can receive care to relieve symptoms. People with serious illness and serious symptoms should be hospitalized. Most patients with Coronavirus or COVID-19 recover from the virus because of supportive care.