Constipation Causes, Symptoms and Home Remedies
What is Constipation?
One of the most common problem that is affecting most of the population today, especially older, children and those who live a sedentary life is a constipation.
Constipation may be defined as difficult or less often bowel movement. It is usually associated with hard stool and leads to straining or constriction.
What are the causes of constipation
Constipation may be caused due to following causes:
- Sedentary habits, inactivity, stress
- Old age, pregnancy,
- Irritable bowel syndrome,
- Nervous and muscular disorders related to the digestive system
- Certain medication
- Eating disorders and eating lots of dairy products
- Overuse of laxatives
- Low fiber diet and less intake of water
What are the Symptoms of Constipation:
- Few or difficult bowel movements
- Hard stool
- Feeling of dissatisfaction
- Nausea, vomiting, indigestion and loss of appetite
- Pain in the abdomen, bloating of stomach and heaviness.
How is Constipation Treated:
Usually, constipation is not a serious problem and certain changes in lifestyle and eating habits are enough to get rid of constipation.
Following changes in lifestyle and eating habits may treat constipation:
- Get active. Exercise daily. You can go for jogging, brisk walk, cycling or may try another mild exercise.
- Drink plenty of water at least 10 to 12 glasses daily.
- Add fiber-rich fruits and vegetable to your diet.
- Try drinking warm water every morning.
What are the Home Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation:
Lemon- Lemon Juice treats constipation by stimulating our digestive system and aids the movement. It is a simple and an effective home remedy. Squeeze juice of a lemon to a glass of filled with warm water. You may also add half teaspoon honey to it. Drink it in the morning empty stomach. Repeat this daily for best results.
- Olive oil- It aids digestion, and get things moving. Take a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix them and consume in the morning empty stomach. Repeat this daily for few days.
Sesame seeds- Sesame seeds have an oily composition that moisturizes the colon. If dry stools and hard stool are a problem, it is a very great home remedy to get rid of constipation. You may add them to salads or cereals. You may also sprinkle them on food for seasoning.
Fennel seeds – They not only treats indigestion and bloating of the stomach, but also treats irritable bowel syndrome and constipation. They also encourage the movement of a smooth muscle of the colon.
Take a cup of roasted fennel seeds and grind to form a powder. Along with warm water take a teaspoon of this powder. Try this for a few days until you find satisfactory relief.
- Aloe Vera- It soothes your stomach. It’s best to use pure Aloe Vera gel from the plant. Extract a tablespoons fresh aloe gel and add it to fruit juice. Drink it daily morning empty stomach for a few days.
- Molasses- Take a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses every day before sleeping. Blackstrap molasses contains magnesium that helps relieves constipation.
Figs- Being high in fiber they are considered as a natural laxative. Include figs in your diet if you are suffering from constipation. Eat Fresh figs along with their skin as they contains fiber and calcium. For best results take three to four almonds along with dried figs. For this, you need to soak them in water. After a few hours peel the almonds and grind it. Add dried figs and make a paste. Take it before going to sleep along with a tablespoon of honey.
Ginger and mint- Both are proven to be effective home remedies that alleviate digestive problems. Due to the presence of methanol it is antispasmodic and relaxes digestive muscles. On the other hand, ginger generates heat inside the body which speeds the digestion. Take a cup of steaming water and add ground mint leaves and ginger to it, Steep for 15 minutes. Drink the concoction every day to get rid of constipation.
Castor oil- It is a stimulating and strong laxative. It stimulates the bowel movement. Just swallow two teaspoons of this oil empty stomach. You may also add it fruit juice to improve its taste.
There will be a huge improvement within a few hours. However, do not use this home remedy for a long period of time or it may have an adverse effect on your body.
- Prunes- They are rich in fiber and improves your digestion. Also, prunes contain certain compounds that promotes the contraction of the intestine. Eat 3 to 4 prunes daily to treat constipation.
Spinach– Spinach is best to get your digestion back on track if you have constipation. It cleanses, regenerates and reconstruct our intestinal tract. Include spinach either in raw form or cooked form daily in your diet. If you are suffering from severe constipation, drink juice of raw spinach 2 times for a few days
The above mentioned home remedies are very effective, safe and cost-effective ways to get rid of constipation. But if they do not work even after changes in your lifestyle and eating habits do consult your doctor for further investigation of treatment.