All You Want To Know About Pain Management
About Pain Management
Pain seems to be an integral part of our lives these days as we experience it every now and then. Whether it is a headache, back pain or joint pain or due to any injury, we experience it in one way or the other.
There Are Two Types of Pain:
- Acute Pain: This type of pain can occur from normal injury and subsides in a day or two.
- Chronic Pain: This pain prolongs and crosses its expected time of healing. It can last from one month to three months and even more.
Causes Of Pain
- Pain can be caused due to any injury on the body
- Pain could be due to any medical condition like back problem, arthritis, cancer etc.
- If you have undergone any surgery then too pain in the body takes place and as your wound heals up, you will get relief from the pain.
How Pain Works In The Body?
If we evaluate closely then pain is a protective mechanism of our body that alarms us and protects our body from further harm. Our body has pain receptors that either give a shooting pain in our body or pushes a dull pain to alarm us against something wrong going inside the body.
If you touch something sharp or hot then pain receptors send this signal to your brain or your muscles and this moves you away from the danger.
Non-Medical Pain Management
Certain day-to-day pains can be sorted out by using non-medical treatments at home:
- Hot or cold pack: This is a common way to subside pain that results from any injury or contraction of muscles. Applying hot or cold pack on the affected area helps in reducing the pain.
- Oil massage: This helps in relaxing the muscles in the body and also accelerates the blood flow in the body. Avoid massage if you have any pain in joints as the pressure will increase the pain instead of reducing it.
- Acupuncture: This is a traditional method of relieving the pain and it is done by inserting the needles into specific pressure points that helps in giving relief from the pain. It also helps in releasing pain relieving compounds called endorphins and reduces the pain.
Pain Management Through Medicines
Some people use medicines for managing the pain in the body and these medicines are widely used for pain management by the people.
- Paracetamol: This medicine is used for managing pain, fever in the body to give relief from the pain.
- Ibuprofen: This is a non-steroidal drug used for giving immediate relief from the pain in the body. It also reduces redness and swelling in the body that results from injury.
Managing Medicines Effectively
- Take medicines as prescribed by the doctor to mange pain effectively.
- If medicines are taken on time with right dosage then large doses of medicines are not required.
- Risks that arise from the side-effects of the medicines will reduce too.
- Stay active and do light exercise to keep your muscles in action.
This helps in loosening and relaxing tight muscles by applying little pressure on them. It eases up the blockage and also makes blood flow in the body easy. It does not have any side-effects and gives freedom from pain in an effective way. There are lot of therapists that helps in giving a deep tissue massage for soothing the pain in the muscles.
This will help you in small amount of pain so that you can swing and move swiftly. If you have lot of pain then aerobics is not advised as it includes fast workout. It takes off strain from the painful joints and reduces the severity of the pain. Do consult your advising doctor before taking this up as a remedy to get rid of any pain in your body.
Precautions While Taking Pain Medicines
- Never take pain medicines on your own while you are pregnant as this might cause harm to your unborn baby.
- If you are giving the medicine to an elderly person, then do talk about the side-effects of that medicine with the doctor beforehand.
- If there is any injury resulting from sports then it is always advisable to visit your doctor rather than self healing the injury.
- If you have chronic pain then always consult your doctor before taking any medication for pain.
How To Manage Pain Effectively That Prolongs
- Instead of taking pain medicines, try to lessen down the pain by staying active, doing mild exercises and using hot and cold pack therapy.
- When you are aware of your condition then you will be able to cope up with the pain effectively.
- Talk to your friend or relatives to stay calm and happy. This will help you in avoiding popping unnecessary medicines to get relief from the pain.
- Eat healthy and include lot of veggies and fruits in your diet to stay away from the pain.
- Choose activities that will entertain you and give you less amount of pain as you choose to have fun and enjoyment.
- Do not do stressful work that increases your pain instead look for activities that you can easily handle.
- Do regular yoga that combines deep breathing and meditation. This helps in improving the strength, flexibility and posture of your body.
When To See A Doctor?
- When your pain does not subside within two-three weeks
- Pain that causes you anxiety, stress and depression
- When pain prevents you from a good sleep or relaxation
- When pain does not go even after trying all treatments
Risks Involved In Pain Management
If you take an overdose of pain relief medicines or taking them regularly to fight your pain then be aware of the side-effects too. These medicines are linked to liver or kidney damage and also lead to gastrointestinal bleeding. This also leads to vomiting, drowsiness and nausea when you take pain medicines in a regular routine. In case of infants or kids, training of parents is essential so that they can look for the label of the pain reducing medicine and decide what is good for their children. There should not be any overdose of medicine and it should be given to the kids in a proper way.