Natural Remedies to Manage Uvulitis
What is Uvula and Uvulitis?
The uvula is a fleshy tissue that hangs towards the back of the mouth over your tongue. The uvula helps swallow food and closes the nasal passages while swallowing. Uvulitis is the inflammation or swelling of uvula causing difficulty in breathing and swallowing food. There are several home remedies for uvulitis. When severe
Symptoms of Uvulitis
If you are affected by uvulitis, the first symptom you must catch is the redness and swelling of the uvula. The other associated symptoms are
- Difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Sore throat
- Feeling of something stuck in the throat
- Spots on the throat
Causes of Uvulitis
Before understanding the treatment for uvulitis, it is essential to determine the underlying causes for uvulitis. Some of the main causes include
- Environmental factors: Environmental factors like inhaling allergens or chemical substances, certain medications, snoring, and dehydration can be an underlying reason for uvulitis.
- Infection: Infections such as croup, common flu, and mononucleosis can irritate and cause swelling and irritation of the uvula.
- Trauma: Surgical procedures or medical treatments can cause trauma to the uvula. Conditions such as acid reflux and vomiting also can irritate the lining of the uvula leading to uvulitis.
- Genetics: A rare genetic condition called hereditary angioedema can lead to the swelling and inflammation of the uvula. In this case, the uvula enlarges to a very big size and causes difficulty in swallowing and breathing.
Natural Remedies to Manage Uvulitis
Treatment for uvulitis can be managed with some simple natural remedies right at your home. Some of the natural remedies for uvulitis are:
#1. Salt Water Gargle
Salt water gargle with warm water is an effective remedy for uvulitis. Salt water helps reduce inflammation and irritation of the uvula. Regular salt water gargle also helps reduce upper respiratory infections.
#2. Honey Tea
Hot honey tea is also one of the natural remedies for uvulitis. Honey possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce swelling of the uvula. Warm honey tea reduces inflammation and alleviates symptoms of throat infection.
#3. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are known to be the best treatment for uvulitis as it contains anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Basil leaves helps combat throat infections and reduces symptoms of uvulitis.
The active ingredient in turmeric known as curcumin possess antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties. This makes turmeric the best natural remedy to treat uvulitis. The medicinal properties of turmeric helps in reducing inflammation and swelling symptoms associated with uvulitis.
#5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an age old treatment for uvulitis. It contains anti-microbial properties that helps fight infections causing uvulitis. Drinking 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar everyday also effectively reduces the inflammation of the uvula.
How To Prevent Uvulitis
Apart from the above mentioned remedies for uvulitis, it is also essential to know how to prevent uvulitis from occurring. Some of the most common yet effective preventive measures are:
- Eating meals on time
- Drinking plenty of water and fluids to keep body hydrated
- Drink warm tea regularly
- Stay away from allergens
- Limit alcohol intake
- Quit smoking
- Sufficient body rest
A combination of preventive measures and natural remedies will help treat and effectively manage uvulitis. However, if the symptoms persist, it may be advisable to consult your doctor for further medical treatment.