Top 10 Natural ways to Exfoliate your Skin | Homemade Facial Scrub
10 Simple Steps of Exfoliation For a Lovely You!
Let’s Find Out What is Exfoliation!
Exfoliation is the process by which dead cells of the skin are removed leaving it soft and supple. This is done by exfoliation products, facial scrubs, apricot or almond shell powder, pumice stone, loofahs and brushes.
Just take care while exfoliating your skin as it should not be done by force. Skin should be treated with utmost care and with soft movements to remove the dead skin.
Exfoliation keeps the skin clear, beautiful and full of youth as it replenishes the dead cells and renews the skin. Pumice stone is considered good for exfoliation of the skin of the feet. Whereas, for face and neck crushed powder of the apricot shell is recommended.
Steps Involved in Exfoliation of the Skin:
Find the right exfoliating scrub
Step#1: Find Right Exfoliating Product
There are many exfoliating products available in the market. Make sure you buy the one that is good for your skin type. For face and body, there should be different exfoliation products. You may consult your dermatologist to find the best exfoliation product for your skin type.
Step#2: Wet Your Skin Before Exfoliation
Before applying any exfoliating product like scrub or a mask, wet your skin for 10 minutes with lukewarm water. This will help wash away the dead flakes of the skin and makes it soft and supple. This will helps in removing the dead skins easily at the time of exfoliation.
Step#3: Make a Fresh Start
The best time to exfoliate your skin is in the morning. The skin has a natural system to repair itself at night. So, the cleaning regime of the skin should be followed in the morning by scrubbing off the dead skin and cleaning it with lukewarm water. When you are done scrubbing then wash off your skin with cold water so that pores will close. Do not forget to apply moisturizer after taking bath as it will keep your skin soft and healthy.
Step#4: Scrub Your Body Gently
Exfoliation should be done gently and while scrubbing the skin. Make sure that you take care of your feet, elbow and ankles while exfoliating your skin. These areas are the toughest ones to clean, so extra care should be taken while cleaning this area. This should be done by using a loofah or a soft brush for the cleaning of your back and other parts.
Step#5: Use a Natural Bristles Brush
A natural bristles brush is available in the market for removing dead cells of the skin. This brush has soft bristles so that it should not be harsh on the skin while exfoliation. Start with the legs and then move upwards in a circular motion and then work towards your back area.
Step#6: Apply a Moisturizer After Exfoliation
Moisturizing your skin is important after the process of exfoliation as it keeps your skin supple and it will stay away from the dryness. It also heals up the skin in an effective way keeping it soft for hours. Use moisturizer as per your skin type, read the label before buying the moisturizer so that it will be good for your skin.
Step#7: Face Mask With Exfoliation Beads
There are some exfoliation masks available for the skin which tightens up the skin keeping it young and wrinkle-free. It also saves the skin from tanning and removes the tanned skin from the face if any. Always remember to exfoliate your skin in a gentle way. Never be too harsh to your skin while cleaning it.
Step#8: Exfoliate Your Skin Twice
It is advisable to exfoliate your skin twice in a week. Oily skin requires daily exfoliation, while normal to dry skin should be exfoliated twice in a week to remove all the dust, dirt and dead skin especially from the face. This will keep your skin young and soft. It also helps in preventing pimples to occur on the face.
Step#9: Have You Ever Tried Citrus Fruits?
Citrus fruits contain natural exfoliators, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) which acts like a natural chemical peel. They don’t act as a scrub and are soft on the skin by naturally cleansing it and leaving it supple. The juice of the fruits acts as a cleanser leaving the skin bright and glowing.
Step#10: Try Sugar For That Lovely Glow
Yes, that’s true! Sugar is a natural scrub which is good for skin exfoliation. It removes dead skin in a natural way when used on the body with gentle, circular motions. Scrub your skin for a minute with sugar and it will be cleaned in a natural way.
Other Ways to Exfoliate the Skin Naturally:
- Salt: This is the most commonly used exfoliator in many exfoliation products. This can be used at home too. It helps in removing dead cells naturally and removes cuticles as well. This helps in getting rid of dry and rough areas of the skin by leaving it soft and supple.
- Oats: Yes, that’s true! Oats are not only known to be a healthy nutrient for breakfast but also a natural exfoliator which acts as a skin softener. It can be used as a body scrub and as a face scrub as well. You can mix it with curd or any beauty oil to let your skin glow.
- Milk: Milk has lactic acid which acts as a natural cleanser for your face and body. It helps in removing the dead skin from the body by giving it a natural shine and also keeps it wrinkle-free.
- Ground Rice: This is mostly used in natural scrubs for body and face. As its texture is rough and dry, so it should be used in a very gentle way on the face and body. Though once wet, it turns smooth and is soft on the skin but it should be used in harsh way.
- Coffee: The grounded version of coffee is good for skin exfoliation as it also helps in removing the stretch marks and removes cellulite. Mix coffee grounds with some oil and apply on the skin for best results. Oil will also act as a moisturizer and help in keeping your skin supple and young.
- Orange Peel: Orange peel powder acts as a natural cleanse for your body. The powder of orange peel can be scrubbed on the body and face. This will bring back the shine on the face and also acts an anti-aging formula. This is commonly used in almost all natural scrubs available in the market.